Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

Im trying to file a Chapter 7 and filling out the Schedule

I'm trying to file a Chapter 7 and filling out the Schedule C , but having a hard time determining if I'm going to be able to keep my truck or not. I live in the state of Colorado and the exemption is $5000.00 but my truck is worth about $9500.00 and it is free and clear. I don't have alot of other items that are of worth....a bed, 10yr old tv, some dvd/cds and my clothes. Are they going to let me keep my truck or will they take it from me? What is the best course of action can I take or if Chapter 7 the best option. I meet all the other requirement...passing the means test.

So sorry to hear of your dilemma. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information on this open and nonconfidential forum.

I can assist you. A chapter 7 bankruptcy is typically the preferable chapter bankruptcy to file. You would be entitled to $5000 in equity in your truck if you are filing without a spouse. If you are joined by your spouse were you are disabled or over age 60, the exemption is $10,000.If you are over exemption you may pay the trustee the difference over a period of a few months