Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

Can a State civil court issue a lockout without getting the

Can a State civil court issue a lockout without getting the automatic stay lifted by the BK court? If one is evicted while the stay provision is in effect what recourse is there?

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information

Once a bankruptcy is filed, the automatic stay of the bankruptcy court is in effect Bankruptcy Code regarding the automatic stay. 362 (4)k provides for actual and punitive damages for the willful disregard of the automatic stay.

However the automatic stay does not apply if the Civil Court has issued the order for possession prior to the bankruptcy filing