Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

In Idaho, I believe the vehicle exemption in a Ch 7 is $3,000

In Idaho, I believe the vehicle exemption in a Ch 7 is $3,000 each, $6,000 for a couple. We have 2 vehicles. One with equity of about $3,500 and the other one $1,500.00. Can we combine the two for a total of $5,000, or does the court look at each individually. Will the excess value of $500 on the first vehicle be a problem?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am not your lawyer and do not represent you, I will endeavor to provide you with legal information through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Idaho Statute 11-605 exempts $7000 in a motor vehicle.

You may read the statute at this link - see #3:
http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title11/T11CH6SECT11-605.htm

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by JustAnswer.com and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), employers must classify employees as either non-exempt or exempt. Exempt employees are not entitled to overtime. Non-exempt employees are entitled to overtime.Therefore in determining whether you are entitled to overtime, you must first determine whether you are exempt or nonexempt.

The issue of categorizing employees as exempt versus non-exempt is very complex. There is not an easy definition. Here is information from the Department of Labor regarding classification: http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/overtime/menu.htm