TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

We filed bk 7 and discharged around a year ago, now our lease

Customer Question

We filed bk 7 and discharged around a year ago, now our lease on our honda is up, we owe over $5k in miles, what can we do about the amount we owe since we are unable to pay? We had the honda when we filed for bk.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

I'm sorry to say that you cannot claim that the $5k was discharged in your Chapter 7. The first issue is that you presumably did not list that $5k as a debt in your bankruptcy schedules. Therefore, it was not discharged. You can sometimes reopen a bankruptcy to include a forgotten debt, but the problem is that I also presume that you did not owe $5k when you filed your bankruptcy. If not, then your bankruptcy cannot be opened to include it.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

I regret that my answer is unfavorable, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than a truthful response. With that in mind, I hope that you found value in my answer. If so, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is this legal advise? Is this fee included in the 15 monthly fee that I signed up fpr?