Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience

I have a foreclosure judgement against me. Filed in Feb. My

I have a foreclosure judgement against me. Filed in Feb. My wife recently passed away and I have received a small death benefit. I need this to live on for awhile. If I open a new bank account in a different bank and turn this into cash have I broken a law and is it easy for this collection firm to find that new account? I'm sure I'll be in bancruptcy court before all is said and done. At the moment it's about survival for me. Am I obligated to give away everything I have at my own peril?

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

You have not necessarily broken the law unless you lied about when asked. If you received the death benefit after the foreclosure then you can open a new bank account at a different bank and deposit there. However, if the lender asks you about all the bank accounts that you have in your name and you fail to disclose the new one, then it could be considered fraud.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers in the meantime. Rest assured, I will get back to you.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated!

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or at .

You can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I checked my Transunion. It's indicated as forclosure initiated.

At the time of my dealings with flagstar and the collection agency there was none of this. My wife passed away after all of this was put into play. I received this check last week. I was notified of the judgement on 2/2 she passed on 2/12. So no one has asked me anything and I have not volunteered anything extra. Fact is I have not told the bank or collection agency she passed on.

For the most part, you have no duty to volunteer any information to them unless they ask you to do so in the context of formal discovery under a lawsuit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Man If you're in Central Fla. I'd like you to be my attorney. I'll accept on your answer.

The judgement on the balance of a short sale will remain out there and I'll be in bancruptcy court before this is over. can they freeze my new account or easily find out about it. I owe my family so much and have to pay them. Thank you again Maveric.

There is no easy way to find out about where your bank accounts are. Usually they find out through your income tax returns because of a 1099 interest form or by pulling your credit. They need your permission to pull your credit. The other way they find out is by deposing you in a lawsuit.
Also, if you file bankruptcy they could find out if you still have the money on hand as you would have to list your assets and debts on the BK schedules.