Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I belonged to a tennis club which I resigned from 2 years ago.

I belonged to a tennis club which I resigned from 2 years ago. I have been waiting for them to sell my membership to receive my deposit. I received a letter last month that they have declared bankrupcy. Is there any way for me to get my money back?
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney here to assist you.

What chapter bankruptcy did th club file?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Kirk. Chapter 11
Ok. Thanks.

That is good news for you because a chapter 11 is a reorganization of debt - not a liquidation. This means that the club is not getting rid of their debts and obligations.

Thus, you should be able to recover your deposit. My suggestion is that you have a proof of claim filed to stake a claim to the money the club owes you. The proof of claim will let the court know you're owed money and it will address and resolve your claim.

I would recommend that you have a local lawyer do this for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you know any lawyers in San Francisco? The bankrupcy was filed in NY because they also own the grand walea, la quinta ect. How much will it cost to do this?
You can look for a bankruptcy lawyer in your area at

It should cost less than $100 to file a proof of claim.