TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

As part of my Marriage Settlement Agreement, I have to inform

As part of my Marriage Settlement Agreement, I have to inform my soon to be ex 10 days before filing so that if he wants to file jointly he can. Does this mean that if I go to a bankruptcy attorney and pay the fees he can just join in without having to be half of the cost or at least contributing to the payment of the attorney and the fees?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Only a judge can make that decision based upon his interpretation of your agreement, but my guess is that your ex will have to pay the difference between you filing alone and the cost increase of the joint filing. Therefore, you would pay the same regardless.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided is helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.