cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

Is this a correct assumption 1. If a married couple were to

Customer Question

Is this a correct assumption? 1. If a married couple were to file for bankruptcy and they own (paid for) a 2005 Chevy Corvette the lawyer might recommend that they sale it? 2. Are they required to file all debts or can they file the debts they want to?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

The answer to question 1 depends on whether or not the couple would need to use the "homestead" exemption to protect their home. To determine this:

How much equity does the home have? (Equity is the difference between the market value of the home and the balance on the mortgage(s)).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for responding. To answer your question in regards to #1: There is $0 equity and owed is $300k value is approx. $208k.

If the car is worth more than around $20,000 the Bankruptcy trustee would be able to take it. Therefore, if the car is worth more than that amount, it would make sense to sell it before filing, and then to use the money for everyday expenses.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. The was not what I was hoping for in regards to selling the car. I still was hoping you could also answer the second question I had?

Sorry!

When a Bankruptcy is filed, all debts must be included in the paperwork that is submitted to the court. However, the debtor(s) may continue to pay any debts that they want, even though those debts will be discharged, so that there is no longer the responsibility to pay.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you!! Just one last question..What's the difference between each bankrupcy chapter (7,11 & 13)?

Chapter 7: the debtor pays nothing to have debt discharged. This is the preferred Chapter, and would be filed by anyone whose income is below the median for their state, and who does not have substantial property that the Bankruptcy court could take. Total process takes about 6 months.

Chapter 13: debts are discharged after the debtor makes monthly payments to the Bankruptcy court for 3-5 years. This chapter is filed by debtors whose income is above the state median, and/or by those who are trying to hang onto valuable property - such as a house or car with substantial equity.

Chapter 11: filed by corporations (for which a Chapter 13 is not available), and by individuals whose debts amount to more then what a Chapter 13 will allow. Also requires monthly payments.