WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS

i have just received notice of involuntary lien from a delinquent

Customer Question

i have just received 'notice of involuntary lien' from a delinquent credit card in CA, what can this lien do if I don't have any property? Will a bankruptcy remove an 'involuntary lein'? And what are the things that would cause a person to NOT be able to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 3 years ago.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Liens can be discharged in a bankruptcy, if the lien is for an unsecured credit card their will be no issue.

WALLSTREETESQ :

The main reason an individual could not qualify for a chapter 7 are the following:

WALLSTREETESQ :

1. your income is higher than the state average

WALLSTREETESQ :

2. you have been discharged previously within the past 8 years

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you have no property for the lien to attach their is little if anything they can do,

WALLSTREETESQ :

If satisfied with our service please press the accept button so we can receive credit.

WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience: 14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there anything a lienholder could do to me LATER, if they can get nothing NOW?

And does an unpaid lien stay on my credit report, and for how long?

And FINALLY, i was never personally served for this court appearance that i had a lien placed upon me, what grounds do i have???
A lienholder can only collect in the future if you have assets to collect on.

After 7 years the unsecured lien would not be on your credit report.

If you were not served personally, you would have to see if personal service is required, and if it is, you could reopen the case, through a motion to reopen, or similare Court action.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So are you saying that if i DID have assets in the future, they could attach the lien? For howlong do they have this option? And ALSO, please, what assets could they go for, isit just property? Cars also? What about an IRA account, can they attach the lien to THAT???
The judgment gives the credit card issuer the right to garnish the consumer's wages and to levy against his bank accounts and other personal property.

In the state of California a lien placed against your property for an unpaid judgment can remain in place for a period of ten years. The creditor then has the option of renewing the lien for an additional ten years. The renewal of the lien must be filed prior to the first lien expiring, and in some cases it can be done automatically. These provisions by law can be found in section 683.020. Section 683.030 allows it to be initially enforced, and sections 683.120(b) and 683.150(a) allow it to be renewed.

WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
i just want a second opinion, please.
The lien cannot be attached to any IRA account, only non exempt property such as bank accounts, wages, and possibly even on real estate. IRA'S are protected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm finally gonna pay you a bonus for your answers, thank you, but i wanted to clarify a couple things first:

1. Your answer: "After 7 years the unsecured lien would not be on your credit report." THEN you said, "In the state of California a lien placed against your property for an unpaid judgment can remain in place for a period of ten years. The creditor then has the option of renewing the lien for an additional ten years" Can the lien never be back on my credit report again after 7 years? Or would it stay on my report during the entire length of the lien? So i could have a lien against me, but it NOT be on my credit report?

2. Please explain to me how the system works, if i had a lien put on me NOW, would it be attached to MY NAME, or to a certain piece of me, like a bank acct.? So if i get property in the future, or own stock in a company in the future, would they beableto put a lien on it then? i had a bunch of unsecured debt in CA, and decided nottogothru a bankruptcy because i donot own property.

And your answer: "The lien cannot be attached to any IRA account, only non exempt property such as bank accounts, wages, and possibly even on real estate. IRA'S are protected."

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY STATING, "possibly even on real estate"? And does that include if i owned stock in a business? And can a lien be placed upon a VEHICLE? And ifso, is there a limit of value of the vehicle that they CANNOT place a lien on?

Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 1 year ago.

ANSWER: The credit agencies would not list the lien after 7 years.
You can have a lien but not have it on your credit report.

A lien would have to be placed on property, their would be a judgment that would appear, and if their is a bank account it can be frozen or if you have property the lien could be attached.

Liens can be placed on real estate property in CA, however it is difficult but possible, also on motor vehicles and other property.

The following would be exempt.

Real estate: Real property, mobile home, co-op, or condo to $50,000 if single and not disabled; $75,000 for families if no other member has a homestead; up to $125,000 if 65 or older or disabled or $100,000 if 55 or older, single and earn under $15,000 and creditors trying to force the sale of your home; or 55 or older, married, earning less than $20,000 and creditors trying to force the sale of your home; proceeds from sale of home are exempt for six months [704.710, 704.720 and 704.730]
Personal property: Furnishings, clothing, appliances and food (amount needed) [704.020]; bank deposits from social security to $2,000 ($3,000 if married) [704.080]; building materials for home improvement up to $2,000 [704.030]; jewelry, heirlooms and art up to $5,000 total [704.040]; motor vehicles or auto insurance proceeds on vehicle to $1,900 [704.010]; personal injury claims or recoveries, amount needed for support [704.140]; wrongful death causes of action or recovery, amount needed for support [704.140]; books, equipment, furnishings, materials, motor vehicle (if not claimed otherwise), tools, uniforms, and vessel up to $5,000 total (married couples may double to $10,000) [704.060]

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information, but please answer probably the most important question i had w/some more clarifications:

So if i get property in the future, would they beableto put a lien on it then? Is the lien 'open ended' for them to attach if i ever get money and buy things in the future, or does it happen that when they goto court to get the lien itis attached to 'something' at that time only?(a bank acct or property or?)

And if they COULD attach a lien L8r, 1. Does that ever happen? 2. And is there a limit asto how much time after the debt occured that they COULD do so?

And if, say, i own stock in a company in the future, could they put a lien on the shares i owned?

And FINALLY, at this point the debts have all been sold off to collection agencies, does it ever happen that a collection agency pursues the money at a L8r date after 7 years?????

I'll pay the 'bonus' w/the response, thank you!

If the lien has not expired it could be attached on your property.

These collection agencies do still go after the debts, if they received a judgment.