Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

BAKRUPTCY, Chapter 7, finalized by trustee last year. I may

BAKRUPTCY, Chapter 7, finalized by trustee last year. I may sue an attorney on a matter that occurred before I filed. If I should sue and win, is the financial award, or settlement mine, or does it go back to the BK trustee? This was not listed as an "asset," because I didn't have knowledge of the facts I have now.

Acct. XXX-XX-XXXX

Terry L. :

Hi and thank you for your question. In the future, you can request me to answer any further questions.

Terry L. :

This is part of the bankruptcy case. You should notify the trustee about the matter.

Terry L. :

The trustee can sue on your behalf (of the bankruptcy estate).

Terry L. :

The proceeds must go to your creditors, and any residual if you get enough to pay off everyone, would go to you.

Terry L. :

The asset is an asset of the estate, if the issue incurred prior to the case filing.

Customer:

Terry,

Customer:

HAD it been listed as an asset, and then "abandoned" by trustee, would I be free to sue on my own?

Terry L. :

yes. the trustee must make that decision.

Terry L. :

if so, then you are free to pursue it on your own.