cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

Whats the negative consequence for buying things from a person

What's the negative consequence for buying things from a person who filed bankruptcy?

I bought a foreclosed house where all doors and cabinets have been ripped out by the angry home owner. To be honest, the stuff he ripped out are all luxury expensive fixtures, hardware, appliances and doors) 5 days after I took title to the house, the previous owner showed up and offered to sell me all the things he ripped out. I was told by the neighbor that the owner filed bankruptcy and he's illegally holding onto these valuable items for sale. She said if i get involved with him, the bankruptcy court might find me trouble.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

If you pay a reasonable amount for the fixtures - considering the fact that they are used - there is nothing the Bankruptcy court can do to you, as they would have to collect the money he received from him.

If you paid nothing for the fixtures (I know this is not the case, but I just wanted to give you an idea of how the law works), then the Bankruptcy court could take the fixtures from you, or order you to pay them (the court) for the fixtures.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!