Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

We moved to AZ due to our health problems 2 years ago. Because

We moved to AZ due to our health problems 2 years ago. Because of market problems we cannot sell our home in CO. We need to consider filing for Chapter 7 BK. Do we file in AZ or in CO?

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: We moved to AZ due to our health problems 2 years ago. Because of market problems we cannot sell our home in CO. We need to consider filing for Chapter 7 BK. Do we file in AZ or in CO?

Response: You need to file in Arizona, where you have resided for the past two years. Then list the property you have in Colorado in your bankruptcy petition. Under 28 U.S.C. Section 1408, a debtor may commence a bankruptcy case in any federal judicial district in which the domicile, residence, principal place of business, or principal assets of the debtor have located for 180 days prior to the bankruptcy petition, or for a longer portion of that 180 days than any other district.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Do we get to keept the home in Colorado?

Is the mortgage on the house current?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes,

If the mortgage is current and you still want to keep the house, you can keep the house as long as you continue to make payments on the mortgage.