Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS

Can a loan not originally filed in a capter 7, be filed later

Can a loan not originally filed in a capter 7, be filed later due to a problem such as loss of job or financial problems? Car or signature etc?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 5 years ago.

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy case can be reopened after discharge and case closure under certain circumstances. Bankruptcy Code Section 350(b) authorizes the bankruptcy court to reopen a case for various reasons including to "administer assets, to accord relief to the debtor, or for other cause." Fed. R. Bankr. P. 5010 states: "A case may be reopened on motion of the debtor or other party in interest pursuant to §350(b) of the Code."

It would be possible for your attorney to file a motion to re open your bankruptcy case and file the loan, it will require a possible hearing but in almost all cases the loan can be added.