How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A home repair person who has filed bankruptcy just called me

Resolved Question:

A home repair person who has filed bankruptcy just called me and wants to give me the $1750 I paid her for a contract to complete work in my home. She wants the old contract or to have me sign a statement to release her from the contract.

Is this legal? What is the benefit to me or to her for doing this?

Thanks for your help!
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am not your lawyer and do not represent you, I will endeavor to provide you with legal information through this open and nonconfidential forum.

It would not appear relevant whether she conducted business in May or June 2009. Therefore it is unlikely that her statement is the reason that she wants the contract return to her. It is typically legal for you to accept the money that is owed to you provided that she is making the payment voluntarily and without your coercion
Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you