Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer Now.
Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification.
Filing a chapter 7 is not easy to do by yourself, however the following are the steps:
1. Obtain a pre filing certificate stating you are entitled to file a chapter 7.
2. Obtain the voluntary petition forms online or through the Federal Court House.
3. Order a credit report
4. List all your income, property and creditors on the required means test.
5. Complete the means test and see if your income qualifies you to file a chapter 7.
6. File the entire petition at the Court house and pay the Court fees.
7. You will obtain a letter from the Court stating the 341 meeting, which is where you have to go for your hearing.
8. After the hearing you have to file a certificate of financial management with the Court, and then you are done.
9. You will receive a letter of discharge and that shows that all your debts have been discharged through the Court.
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).