TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My BK Lawyer the one I paid $4000 to for filing my chapter

My BK Lawyer the one I paid $4000 to for filing my chapter 13, says that if I want to convert to a chapter 7 it will cost me $1,500 plus a $25 filing fee. I am unemployed through no fault of my own and I am currently in a chapter 13 plan. HE IS MY LAWYER OF RECORD. My question is this: Isnt he abliged to file this petition and all supporting documents under the original $4000 fee he was paid? it is legal for him to ask for more money?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

I'm sorry to say that your lawyer is not obliged to file the petition and supporting documents under the original $4000 fee unless he agreed to do so in the event that you need to convert your bankruptcy. Assuming that converting to a Chapter 7 was not part of your original agreement, then what you're asking is analogous to paying somebody to paint your house blue, and then shortly afterward demanding that he repaint half of it red for no additional compensation. I wish I had better news.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

I regret that my answer is unfavorable, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than a truthful response. With that in mind, I hope that you found value in my answer. If so, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.