Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My ex-husband filed chapter 7, I had to file chapter 11. There

My ex-husband filed chapter 7, I had to file chapter 11. There is a 'joint' bank account that only he had access to, and ran it up to $19K. Can he bankruptcy out of a joint account and dump it all on me?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

Was the debt incurred before, during, or after your Chapter 11 was in progress?

Was this bank listed as a creditor on your Bankruptcy petition?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

before i filed chapter 13, and after

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

I see that your reply has been sitting for more than 2 hours without any response from any Expert. Do you still need assistance? If so, kind provide me with this information:

Was the debt listed as part of your reorganization/payment plan in your Chapter 11/13?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it was reduced to judgement lien, prevented us from selling the house & 2 lots in the back. we had a long wait to get it lifted in order to sell. The $19k was listed on both of our both of ours, but I seem to be stuck with it while he walks away clean, & it is his debt. I was under the impression he could not bankruptcy out of a joint account.

Thank you for additional information.

<p>

Your Question: My ex-husband filed chapter 7, I had to file chapter 11. There is a 'joint' bank account that only he had access to, and ran it up to $19K. Can he bankruptcy out of a joint account and dump it all on me?

<p>

Response: Unfortunately yes. Once he filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and was granted discharge of his debts, the joint account with you that he ran up became your sole responsibility. Chapter 7 is a liquidation Chapter. There is no co-debtor protection in a Chapter 7.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.