cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

I have a financial reorganization question. I own a PLLC

I have a financial reorganization question.

I own a PLLC firm, and it operates in the red every year, due to my husband's income. I also have tax-free unearned income from a trust account that is managed by trustees (I cannot access the principle.) I have 60K in personal credit card debt. I am on the mortgage to the property where my business is located and have $80K in equity. My husband and I jointly own (and owe) over $2 million in other properties (including our family home), but I amnot on any of the mortgages for this property (only the deed).

I have recently heard about collection companies buying bad debt from creditors for pennies on the dollar and settling the debt with the consumer for 10 -15% of the entire debt amount. I spoke with a TN lawyer recently, and after he explored my economic situation and suggested I try settling before I look at chapter 7. He didn't like chapter 13, which I can understand, and he said if both my husband and I were looking at reorganization, we would need to file chapter 11.

What do you think about the debt settlment idea? Is this feasible? What are the risks?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

Regarding debt settlement, are you asking about the credit card debt only, or also about the mortgages?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. Credit card only.

In general, credit card companies will not settle for less than the balance on the card unless the debtor has missed one or two payments. Once a payment is missed, the creditor will typically start calling immediately and will in a short time make a settlement offer of 50 - 60% of the outstanding debt.

If there is no settlement agreement, and if the debt is still not being paid, most credit card companies will then sell the debt to a collection agency for "pennies on the dollar". A collection agency will also typically allow the debtor to pay around 50% of the outstanding debt.

Neither the original creditor nor a collection agency will settle for 10-15%.

The risk involved is the reduced credit score that will result from the missed payments, and also from a settlement. Also, you may have to pay income tax on the amount that is forgiven, as you will be issued a 1099-C for the forgiven debt.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!