Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS

If I live in VA, can I file for bankruptcy with a lawyer in

Customer Question

If I live in VA, can I file for bankruptcy with a lawyer in another state? I am currently in the process of a foreclosure and I am working with an attorney based in FL. The mortgage company is not willing to accept a modification, and Chapter 13 would be my next option.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 5 years ago.

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

You could only file bankruptcy in the State where you reside, with an admitted attorey in your state.

If you file a chapter in VA that would allow you to include the Florida property as well, so thier would be no reason to want to file in another State.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have property in FL. The attorney I am working with is in FL.
The attorney working for your modification, cannot represent you in a bankruptcy you can only file a bankruptcy in the State where you reside. In fact it is better for you to use a VA lawyer as bankruptcy law is specific to each State and each State has exemptions and rules other states do not have.