WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

If I live in VA, can I file for bankruptcy with a lawyer in

Customer Question

If I live in VA, can I file for bankruptcy with a lawyer in another state? I am currently in the process of a foreclosure and I am working with an attorney based in FL. The mortgage company is not willing to accept a modification, and Chapter 13 would be my next option.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 6 years ago.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

WALLSTREETESQ :

You could only file bankruptcy in the State where you reside, with an admitted attorey in your state.

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you file a chapter in VA that would allow you to include the Florida property as well, so thier would be no reason to want to file in another State.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have property in FL. The attorney I am working with is in FL.
The attorney working for your modification, cannot represent you in a bankruptcy you can only file a bankruptcy in the State where you reside. In fact it is better for you to use a VA lawyer as bankruptcy law is specific to each State and each State has exemptions and rules other states do not have.