Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience

I filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy on my own without an attorney.

I filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy on my own without an attorney. When I arrived at my "Meeting of the creditors" the Trustee told me to go get a lawyer and return and gave me a 30 day continuance. When I contacted a lawyer and got a better understanding of the process, I decided that I don't want to proceed with the filing. My question is this:

If I file a motion to dismiss the case, w3ill the court have to hold a formal hearing with me in attendance to act on it?

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

Normally a hearing would not be required and most motions to voluntarily dismiss a case are granted without a hitch. However, if there is fraud involved, a creditor or the trustee may object and then a hearing may follow. It is best to check with the trustee first to see if he has any objections to your filing a motion to dismiss.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers in the meantime. Rest assured, I will get back to you.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated!

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or at .

You can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.