Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

My question involves bankruptcy in the state of Indiana In

My question involves bankruptcy in the state of: Indiana

In 2003 I recieved a discharge from the bankruptcy courts on a property I was trying to purchase. (I did not want to keep the property and listed it in the bankruptcy) The mortgage company has never filed for foreclosure and the county in which the property is located has asked and recieved a wage garnishment against me from the State of Indiana for the second time now for unpaid property taxes post bankruptcy discharge. Apparently because I'm a state employee my wages can be granished for unpaid property taxes with no questions asked.

I talked to serveral lawyers who all say this is an illegal collection, but none can figure out how to stop the garnishment. I was trying to pay for my son in college, but due to the first ganishment I had to make himdrop out of school. This is an exterme hardship on my family.

Do I have any options?

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am not your lawyer and do not represent you, I will endeavor to provide you with legal information through this open and nonconfidential forum.

If a creditor attempts to collect a discharged debt, you may file a motion with the bankruptcy court, reporting the action and asking that the case be reopened to address the matter. The normal sanction for violating the discharge injunction is civil contempt, which is often punishable by a fine.