cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

Would my CareCredit card (used for medical/dental expenses)

Would my CareCredit card (used for medical/dental expenses) be treated just as any other credit card if I file ch. 7 bankruptcy? What about a down payment owed on a vehicle, if say the actual auto loan is through the financial institution but the down pament is owed to the dealership? Or would they then be able to re-po the vehicle?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

Is the down payment owed to the dealer secured by your car? In other words, is there a lien for the dealer on the car title?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well, both the financing and down payment are through Nissan, but it was explained to me that they were two seperate idunno if that helps?

The money owed to CareCredit would be treated the same as unsecured credit card debt.

If the downpayment is secured by your vehicle - and it probably is - the car can be repossessed if it is not paid - even if you file a Bankruptcy - but not while the Bankruptcy is in progress. The lender would have to wait until the Bankruptcy is closed (around 6 months after it is filed).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do I find out if the downpayment is secured by my vehicle?

Thank you for accepting my answer!

The security agreement would be in the contract that you signed for the downpayment.