cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

how does a poor person begin bankruptcy proceedings when the

how does a poor person begin bankruptcy proceedings when the filing fees are around $1500?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 3 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

You would have to pay $1500 if you hired an attorney to file process the Bankruptcy for you. The court fee is only $299, and if you make under a certain amount, you do not have to pay the court fee.

If you file the Bankruptcy on your own, and if you make under a certain amount, you would not have to pay anything. Many debtors file on their own, without using an attorney. Doing so is not easy, but it is not overly difficult either.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!

cfortunato, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy professor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how does one go about beginning the process? are there forms that can be downloaded and filled out?

Yes - are you in the northern or southern part of Ohio?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ashtabula

Here are the forms:

http://www.uscourts.gov/FormsAndFees/Forms/BankruptcyForms.aspx.

At the top there is a drop-down menu with all the Bankruptcy courts in the nation. The one you have to choose is "Northern District of Ohio".

When finished, you will have around 60 pages to file total. However, many of those pages will be mostly blank.

You have to fill out the following forms:

B1

Exhibit D

B3B (if you are going to apply for the waiver)

All the B6's, but not the Cover Sheet

B7

B8

B21

B22A

B23 - this one has to be filed after you file the Bankruptcy, after you take the Debt Management class.

Also, there are 2 classes you have to take:

1) Credit Counseling class must be taken before you file the Bankruptcy.

2) Debt Management class must be taken after you file the Bankruptcy.

You also have to take a Credit Counseling class, which you can take online.

If you make under a certain amount, and if you qualify for the Bankruptcy court fee waiver, you will not have to pay for the classes either, but you may have to call to get clearance to take the classes for free.

You can take the classes at www.DebtorWise.org.

Lastly, you will also have to submit tax returns for the last 2 years that it was required for you to file taxes.

And you will have to submit proof of your income. If you are working, you have to submit paystubs for the 8 weeks before filing. If you receive benefits, you have to submit the most recent award letter.

Edited by cfortunato on 2/1/2011 at 8:30 PM EST
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy professor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you! god bless you!

You're welcome! And if you need any help, you know where to find me.

Also - I just re-read my answer.

At the bottom I listed the 2 courses you have to take, and then I said, "You also have to take a Credit Counseling class." <---- This sentence should be ignored, as there are only the 2 classes you have to take.

I just remembered one more thing:

You also have to submit a "Mailing Matrix", which is simply the names and addresses of all creditors typed and centered on the page.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks again!