Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience

I have paid in full for chapter 13 and I have completed my

Customer Question

I have paid in full for chapter 13 and I have completed my class. All of this was back in Aug.2010...I am fully sure I completed all by Sept.2010. I just had my banking account frozen. Is this legal? How long do I have to wait before my bankruptcy is finalize through the courts?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

If you filed BK, then an automatic stay went into effect the moment you filed. However, you may have to notify the creditors that a you have filed for BK so that they know not to take any action against you. If you know who froze the account, send them a letter or fax and attach a copy of the first page of the BK petition showing that you filed and the date when you filed and ask them to remove the freeze.

Let them know that if they refuse to comply immediately you will report them to the BK judge as their imposition of a freeze without first applying to lift the stay is a violation of the judge's automatic stay order.

If you filed chapter 13, you will be on a payment plan for 3-5 years before the BK is finalized.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers in the meantime. Rest assured, I will get back to you.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated!

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or at .

You can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.