WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

If an attorney prepares and signs a BK petition are they required

If an attorney prepares and signs a BK petition are they required to show at the meeting of the creditors?
Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on.

Once you retain an attorney to prepare your bankruptcy petition and he signs the petition and states he is your attorney, he is liable to represent you throughout the entire case of the bankruptcy. He will have to attend the 341 meeting in your case.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your timely answer. Would the same apply to a bankruptcy preparer?
no, a bankruptcy preparer will not appear at the 341 meeting, they will only prepare the petition for you and they cannot offer you any legal advise on how to fill out the forms.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I Live in CA. What is a fair price to pay an attorney for a BK where there are no assets and maybe 15 liabilities?

Bankrupycy preparer?
For a chapter 7 typically $700 -$1500 for a no asset chapter 7 bankruptcy is fair, in your case you should shop around their will not be too many issues so $900 or less is fair.

Edited by WALLSTREETESQ on 1/7/2011 at 2:54 AM EST