Texas Atty
Texas Atty, Attorney
Experience:  JD
11068102

I want to go into bankruptcy because I lost my job and got

I want to go into bankruptcy because I lost my job and got a repo and some old credit card debt, and when I was working a garnishment was taken from my paycheck. My debt should total some around 15,000 dollars
Is there a specific question I could help you with?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes the question it's how to start the process and if will I qualify for bankruptcy
As long as your debt is more than $5000 you qualify for bankruptcy. What you need to do is contact a bankruptcy attorney and they will walk you through the steps. If you aren't planning on hiring an attorney, which I highly recommend, you can get the forms at an online site like http://legalzoom.directtrack.com/z/10/CD2177/&dp=0&l=0&p=0&subid1=&subid2=&subid3=&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-dt-_-CD2177-_-na . They come with instructions on how to fill the forms out and file them. As soon as you fie for bankruptcy the court issues a "stay" which stops all further attempts at collection other than through the bankruptcy court.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could I file chapter 7?
Yes. A Chapter 7 would be more logical since it is a complete dissolution whereas the others require a monthly payment and without a job you can't do that.