TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Can a piece of real property , raw land, be protected from

Can a piece of real property , raw land, be protected from creditors if the title is in a trust?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Yes, under certain circumstances, it’s possible to protect property if the title is in a trust. In order for the property to be protected against the trustor’s creditors, the trust would have to be irrevocable so that the property is truly not his anymore, and he will not benefit from it. In order to protect the property against the beneficiary’s creditors, the trust would have to have a spendthrift provision which states that an independent trustee has full authority over the trust and that the beneficiary has no power to take control of the trust. In other words, in order to shield the property from creditors, the trust has to provide that the person who the creditors may go after has no control over the trust and property in question.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided is helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.