cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

Hello, I will make a long story short.We moved to a new area

Customer Question

Hello, I will make a long story short.We moved to a new area so I could pursue teaching career, my husband was promised a job and then the people decided to “go in a different direction” so we were in a newly purchased house, and one income. My husband did not qualify for unemployment because he left his job. He diligently searched 24/7 but so was everyone else, (we were debt free until this time). After two years we went through all our savings (401 too) sold a car, sold gold coins, sold fruit at farmers markets, you name it we did it. We had to result in using our credit cards and help from family members. Now I am happy to say my husband has a job 10 months now, but we have not put a dent in all our debt. What should we do? We can make the payments but if anything comes up (car registration, doctors, and maintenance for our house) we have to forgo one thing to pay the other. Do we consolidate, consider bankruptcy, go live in a cave? We have great integrity and are very responsible people but feel like we are just drowning.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

If you qualify (determined mainly by your gross annual household income), nothing compares to a Bankruptcy for providing relief from debt, and overall peace of mind.

If you want me to help you determine if you qualify, I can do so if you indicate your state, the total gross annual income, and the number of persons in your household.