Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

My boyfriend just proposed to me before Xmas, BUT he is about

My boyfriend just proposed to me before Xmas, BUT he is about $30K in debt to the IRS, old credit cards, and unpaid hospital bills from a few years ago. He filed for bankruptcy once before and is now so overwhelmed by the debt again that he thinks this is his only option.

I understand that doesn't even know where to start, but I did some research and I don't think another bankruptcy would be good for our future and I think it wont clear the IRS debt.

We don't live together and I have great credit. Obviously, I am very concerned about resolving this before we proceed. Where should we start? Credit counseling? Debt consolidation? It looks like such a mess!
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Your fiancée will want to consider a chapter 7 bankruptcy as opposed to debt consolidation. Although it would not discharge the tax debt, a Chapter 7 bankruptcy could discharge (erase) all of his other unsecured debt such as credit cards, judgments and personal loans. It would be an opportunity for a fresh financial start before beginning married life.

Best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just to clarify - when considering the amount and (various) type of debt, bankruptcy seems like a better, more feasible, way to move on with life??? What about trying to pay off the tax debt on a montly plan and consolidating the rest?
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
Your boyfriend would typically be able to rehabilitate his credit much faster after a chapter 7 bankruptcy. In addition after you are married, your marital assets may be attached for your husband's debt in California