Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

I live in Washington State and signed a year lease on 9/1/2011.

Customer Question

I live in Washington State and signed a year lease on 9/1/2011. My landlord contacted me and told me they were going to file for bankruptcy. She also said the rent would be reduced from 1350.00 to 800.00. Which I paid as agreed by the first of the year. I received a letter from her stating that my rent is now month to month? I'm afraid she is going to try to a)either raise the rent next month or b) try and give me a 30 day notice next month. Can she change the terms of the lease to month to month?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Unfortunately if your landlord filed a chapter 11 bankruptcy, the landlord has the option to cancel all existing leases. The effect of this would be that you are now renting on a month-to-month basis

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What happens to my deposit?
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

You will need to obtain a copy of the bankruptcy plan from the bankruptcy court.However typically lease deposits are not affected and remain on hand