NYCLAWYER
NYCLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  LICENSED NY AND NJ BUSINESS LAWYER
11313492

i am being sued by a creditor and got a summons from the court,

i am being sued by a creditor and got a summons from the court, it said i have to respond to the complaint in writing or a judgment by default may be entered against me. i'm in the process of chapter 11, what do i do? do i respond to the summons?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  NYCLAWYER replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am legal expert at Justanswer and I will be helping you with your question today. Normally you would file an answer to deny the claim. Here, bankruptcy says any collection efforts so you can alert the lawyer you have done so and to be safe file the answer raising as a defense the bankruptcy filing including a copy of such filing as proof. As long as the party sued has a bankruptcy pending, that case cannot proceed.

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

Leaving a BONUS and POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you ACCEPT are also very much appreciated.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. You can always request me in the future through my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=11313492&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Infolawyer…”

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. I wish you best of luck and a prosperous 2011.