Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

In a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, at what point is the attorneys

Customer Question

In a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, at what point is the attorney's job complete. At the 341 hearing, at the end of the foreclosure process after the property is surrendered? I need to know because I am going to file a grievance and amalpratice suit against my attorney for not representing me in my best interest.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

An attorney retained to represent the consumer in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy remains the attorney of record until the bankruptcy case is closed. Bankruptcy case is typically closed about the time of discharge.

If you would like additional details concerning my answer, please click REPLY and I will be happy to respond. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site. Do not click relist as it will delay my response.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Why would it take a year for the case to be closed. Is that a part of the lawyers duty to see that it happens in a resonable amount of time?
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

The typical reason for delay in closing a bankruptcy case is that there are assets available for distribution to the creditors. The bankruptcy attorney is not typically involved in this aspect of the bankruptcy. The bankruptcy trustee administers the bankruptcy estate and distribution to creditors