TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

Im a secured creditor involved in chap 13. Trustor has no

I'm a secured creditor involved in chap 13. Trustor has no equity in the real estate. I believe I have 2 choices of action. 1. to do nothing and wait it out. 2. hire a lawyer to ask court to lift stay on property. Am I correct? P.S. Amount of money is $10,000
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

You’re absolutely correct. You can wait, or file a motion to lift the automatic stay, thereby allowing you to take action with regard to the property. Since there is no equity cushion, your security is not adequately protected. Therefore, the judge will likely lift the stay. Of course, I’m assuming that the debtor has already defaulted on the loan.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided is helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.