Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

our ch 7 was completed in (US Court) California, Apr 10 we

our ch 7 was completed in (US Court) California, Apr '10 we did not put our house on it. How does it affect our mortgage if we default?

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by JustAnswer.com and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

The chapter 7 bankruptcy would have discharged your personal liability on the mortgage but not the lien on the property. This means if the property were to be foreclosed, the lender could sell the property to satisfy the debt but could not obtain a judgment against you for the unsatisfied portion of the debt. However it also means that you cannot sell theproperty without paying the mortgage in full

I hope that the information I have supplied helps you.

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers.