Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

If I did not adequately insure home for renters and my renters

Customer Question

If I did not adequately insure home for renters and my renters trash place moving out, will my Ch7 or 13 protect me from their lawsuit when I sign property over in lieu of foreclosure?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by JustAnswer.com and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Answer -- yes

The automatic stay of the bankruptcy court prohibits any action against the debtor outside of the bankruptcy court. Once a bankruptcy has been filed all collection action must cease.

I hope that it helps to know this information

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Since they (renters) have locked me off 10 acre property, I have filed 3 day pay or quit but do I have to file 30 notice to vacate? I don't understand why when my paperwork says after 3 days I get to file detainer and then after 5-7 I get the sheriff to boot them off, right?What is the ppurpose of 30 day notice when time periods are covered in 3 day pay or quit and then again in detainer. Is this some legal redundancy? Also, how hard and expensive would it be to prosecute this asshole renter. He has taken my furniture and decorated the lobby of his business with it and refuses to give back. Is this a lost cause or can I get him for possession of stolen property? He has removed an entire building from property. How can I stop this? ps I put 3 day on gate on Friday.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Typically a landlord will use both the three-day notice and the 30 day notice. The purpose of the 30 day notice is to prevent the tenant from stopping the eviction by paying the rent

J.A. policy requires that you start a new thread for a new question. Please accept the answer and then you may start your new question in a new thread

Edited by WebLaw on 12/5/2010 at 8:06 PM EST