Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

My ex boyfriend and I bought a house 8 years ago. We have

My ex boyfriend and I bought a house 8 years ago. We have two children together. He has been out of the home for 6 years and I have paid all of the expenses for this house. He bought another house with another woman in the last two years and is now filing chapter 7 bankruptcy. He just moved out and left the house he bought recently. He was supposed to file a quit claim on the house which we own jointly. He listed my house on his property for the bankruptcy so obviously he did not sign a quit claim. What position does this put me in regarding the bankruptcy he has filed?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Unfortunately your former boyfriend is a 50% owner of your house. This means he is entitled to 50% of the equity in your house. The trustee may attach that equity for the benefit of creditors

I hope that it helps to know this information

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers.