Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I filed bankeupcy waiting for dischare for 8 weeks. I got

I filed bankeupcy waiting for dischare for 8 weeks. I got a lump some of 50,000 frome a job I worked 37 yrs.. Can thismoney be taken now from me?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by JustAnswer.com and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

What was the reason that the lump sum was paid to you?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I retired before My husband and I filed bankrupcy. I never asked my company for the my retirement until I realized I couldnt wait. I need it to live on now. My husband still works but not enough money. So instead of a monthly small check, I decided to take a lump sum. They took alot of taxes before I got it.

we filed a chapter 13. we own nothing but a car with no equity. My husband has a 401k but not much because we have used it over the last few yrs. our bankrupcy was ver simple..Just credit card debit. We had sold our house with very little money out of it before bankrupcy. .

Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
So you are still making payments on your Chapter 13 plan?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am so sorry it was chapter 7, the one you dont have to pay, because we make so little money. all the debit was credit cards only. thank you
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
Good. That makes a big difference in my answer. Since these were retirement funds that you received and because they were received after the date of filing, you appear entitled to keep the funds

If you would like additional details concerning my answer, please click REPLY and I will be happy to respond. Do not click relist as it will delay my response.