Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

Im not exactly sure how this site works on your end, but Im

Customer Question

I'm not exactly sure how this site works on your end, but I'm the guy who's asked you two other questions about Bankruptcy in Texas for my parents.
Rather than put this $25k that is in their account towarrds a vehicle, can they just use it to pay down the principal balance owned on their homesteaded personal residence? If so, would they have to wait a certain period of time before filing?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.

The same principal that applies to a newer car purchase would apply to their home. If it can be determined that the reason for paying down the principal is so that the money will not be available for creditors, the Bankruptcy court can attempt to get that money back. (The Bankruptcy court can order the lender to return the money.)