Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

My mom had her debts discharged in a chapter 7 bankruptcy.

My mom had her debts discharged in a chapter 7 bankruptcy. In her living trust she asked that her creditors be paid off. She specifically listed some of the creditors who were discharged in the bankruptcy. Can or should the trustee payoff these creditors since they are legally not creditors? Or is my mother's intent to pay them, notwithstanding the use of the term, "creditors" controlling?

These debts were never reaffirmed by the bankruptcy court. It is unclear if the creditors approached my mom about repayment. The creditors will claim that my mom told the creditors that they would be paid off when she died (because of an insurance policy).

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

The discharge is a permanent order prohibiting the creditors from taking any form of collection action on discharged debts, including legal action and communications with the debtor, such as telephone calls, letters, and personal contacts.

However, a debtor who has received a discharge may voluntarily repay any discharged debt. A debtor may repay a discharged debt even though it can no longer be legally enforced. Sometimes a debtor agrees to repay a debt because the debtor's reputation is important.

Unfortunately, the trustee is going to be under a fiduciary duty to carry out the terms of the trust.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers in the meantime. Rest assured, I will get back to you.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated!

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.martindale.com/ or at http://www.lawyers.com/ .

You can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Key Points

1) A deceased person may instruct the trustee (or executor) of his or her trust (or estate) to payoff a debt discharged in bankruptcy even though repayment of the discharged debt is voluntary. In other words, it is not voluntary for the trustee to make the payment, but mandatory based upon the deceased person's intent.

2) If a discharged creditor approached the person after the bankruptcy and inquired about payment of the debt, then the promise to repay the debt may have been improperly entered into and may not be valid depending upon the specific fact pattern.

1. without giving effect to the term mandatory, this is correct as the trustee has to follow the wishes of the grantor as per the terms of the trust or else he will be said to have breached his fiduciary duty.

2. this is correct. If you can show that the creditors communicated with the debtor about the debt after discharge and tried her to get her to repay it, then you may be able to have the BK court hold the creditor in contempt of the discharge injunction and ask the court to issue an order that exempts the trustee from paying them per the trust terms.