Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
15345323

What is the difference between and Chapter 7 and a Chapter

What is the difference between and Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, and what are the chances of it being accepted if a judge has to accept it. And do you have to get an attorney to file this for you? Thanks
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 3 years ago.

Terry L. :

Hi and thank you for your question. In the future, you can request me to answer any further questions.

Terry L. :

Chapter 7 discharges consumer debts- credit cards, medical etc.
Chapter 13 is a debt repayment plan, usually paying from 10-100% of the unsecured debts back and 100% of secured debts, 100% of mortgage arrears.

Terry L. :

You should always use an attorney when filing bankruptcy.

Terry L. :

The court will approve a feasible chapter 13 repayment plan assuming you meet the code requirements, and can afford the monthly payments.

Terry L. :

Chapter 7 cases aren't really 'approved'.

Terry L. :

it is whether the trustee will liquidate any unexempt assets or if a creditor files an adversary objecting to discharge of the debt.

Terry L. :

To file chapter 7, the debtors must pass the means test (6 month household income review)

Terry L. :

If the test shows that there is still disposable monthly income, then the chapter 13 will be needed.

Terry L. :

Currently, the median income in Georgia for a 4 person household is $68,122

Terry L. :

if the total household income from the 6 months leading up to the case, as computed to yearly figures is above this figure, then the means test needs to be calculated.

Terry L. :

Just because the income is higher, does not preclude a chapter 7. There are variable and set deductions for the county they live in, so meet with that attorney again to re-run the numbers.

Terry L. :

do you have any questions?

Terry L. :

thanks for your question, feel free to request me for any future questions. good luck to you and your son.

Customer :

I cannot read the top part of the answer, it starts at "if the total household income"

Terry L. :

I'll switch this to Q&A perhaps you can read it there. I'll repost as well

Terry L., Attorney
Experience: Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
Expert:  Terry L. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Terry L. replied 3 years ago.
Terry L. says:
12/1/10 1:58 PM
12/1/10 1:59 PM
12/1/10 1:59 PM
12/1/10 1:59 PM
12/1/10 1:59 PM
12/1/10 2:00 PM
12/1/10 2:00 PM
12/1/10 2:01 PM
12/1/10 2:02 PM
12/1/10 2:03 PM
12/1/10 2:04 PM
12/1/10 2:04 PM
do you have any questions?
12/1/10 2:12 PM