Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

I live in ohio and my job keeps laying me off so money is tight

Customer Question

I live in ohio and my job keeps laying me off so money is tight and I got behind on some bills but i filed bankruptcy in 2004 so my question is how long do I have to wait to file again?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

A person can file Chapter 7 again if it has been more than 8 years since he or she filed the previous Chapter 7 bankruptcy or 6 years since the filing of a Chapter 13.

A debtor can refile a Chapter 13 at anytime.

If you would like additional details concerning my answer, please click REPLY and I will be happy to respond. Do not click relist as it will delay my response.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok since i still have a yr and a half before i can file a chapter 7 again can if i file chapter 13 to stop the garnishments then when my 8yrs is up can i then file a chapter 7
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately not. If you file a chapter 13 now, you will need to wait 6 years before you file a chapter 7