Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS

What is the proper term used when you withdraw from a bankruptcy

What is the proper term used when you withdraw from a bankruptcy proceeding? Is withdraw the proper term?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 5 years ago.

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

Typically in a chapter 13 case you can file motion to withdraw and it will be approved by the court, in a chapter 7 case a motion to withdraw is more complicated and can be objected by the trustee, but a "withdrawl" is the proper term.

Typically it is easier to have a bankruptcy dismissed by the court than having a withdrawl granted, since if you do not appear at a creditors meeting it will be dismissed.