LawGuy, Attorney
Experience:  Over 25 years experience representing clients in business, transactional and real estate law.

I have several thousand dollars in debt from pass due bills

Customer Question

I have several thousand dollars in debt from pass due bills and credit cards. I also have a car in possession that i have not made a payment on in a long time. i wish to keep my car if at all possible.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  LawGuy replied 5 years ago.
It is difficult to keep the car because it is security for the loan and the lender is allowed to just take it if you miss payments. However, before attempting to file for bankruptcy (if that is your plan) you may want to call the credit card companies and see if you can get a reduced payment plan. Let them know this is a last resort to filing for bankruptcy. If they agree, that may free up some cash for you to bring the car loan current. I would not call the car company and say you are planning to file for bankruptcy because that will probably just accelerate the repossession.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so you think that i should call the credit companies. should i call the bank that i have my car loan through and just try to talk to them about starting my payments again.