Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

Hello, I am 26 years old and debating on filing for Bankruptcy.

Hello, I am 26 years old and debating on filing for Bankruptcy. my score is 566, and currently have no credit cards, no mortgage, auto loan. I also recieve disability. And I'm working on getting a loan discharged which is probably why my score is so low its about -60k debt. ( student loan) . Should I wait until i hear something?

Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

So sorry to hear of your dilemna. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information on this open and nonconfidential forum.

Most student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

Some student loans may be discharged in a bankruptcy if they are not considered to be "qualified" student loans.

Only loans that satisy the requirements under 26 USC 221(d)(1) are considered a qualified education loan.

Here is an informative article on the subject.

I hope that this helps.

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers.