Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

I have a settlement confrence for a credit line that I have

Customer Question

I have a settlement confrence for a credit line that I have defaulted on. We have looked into filing bankrupcy but have not yet, due to money. Can I go to the conference and tell them I am going to file bankrupcy or take one of their settlement offers and then file bankrupcy. And should I have a lawyer, or is it ok to go alone?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.

Terry L. :

Hi and thank you for your question. In the future, you can request me to answer any further questions.

Terry L. :

You can, but until you actually file, telling them you intend to file won't do much.

Terry L. :

You can take a settlement offer then file, that is fine too.

Terry L. :

It would always be advisable to have a lawyer, however, you are not required to have one.

Terry L. :

You should focus on filing the bankruptcy asap to stop the process as soon as possible.

Terry L. :

you would need to comply with the settlement agreement, otherwise you could be brought back into court on contempt charges.

Terry L. :

Once you file, you would not need to pay anything else.

Terry L. :

Thanks for your question, good luck.