Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

I have a bankruptcy that was discharged in April of 2010.

I have a bankruptcy that was discharged in April of 2010. I received a statement from my homeowners for over $5000.00 on this 7 month assessment @ $250.00 month ($1750.00). Further a $750.00 attorney bill, and a $250.00 bankruptcy attorney fee. There is no date as to when these charges were incurred (legal), and no explanation of the assessment. Further, he stated that if I ask any questions and do not agree in 5 days to this billing, I will incur other legal costs and further action. Is this legal???
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.

Terry L. :

Hi and thank you for your question. In the future, you can request me to answer any further questions.

Terry L. :

Homeowners associations are a different entity with a bankruptcy case.

Terry L. :

They can collect from the date you filed the bankruptcy up to foreclosure or when the property sells.

Terry L. :

you are liable for those amounts that come due, even if you are surrendering the property, since you are still the named owner of the property until the foreclosure.

Terry L. :

You would not owe on any amounts due thru the date of filing.

Terry L. :

They are allowed to charge collection and attorneys fees, as set out in your bylawsa.

Terry L. :

You should request a date breakdown for these costs, and would only owe the amounts that come due post filing for all. thanks for your question, good luck to you.