cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

Someone has named me as having a 1% ownership of a property

Someone has named me as having a 1% ownership of a property (set for forclosure) that I have never heard of in Ca. They sent an order to the OKC court for a release of stay and I didn't respond in time so they got it. How did they get this when I never listed them nor have heard of them or ever owned the property. The order came from an attorney's office in Oklahoma City. I called them and they said that they didn't do this. I have to take it up with owners but I've had no luck getting info so far on them. My trustee said I should list them on the bk to be safe. Why should I do this and have to pay to amend when I never listed them to begin with. Ofcourse I and the trustee suspects fraiud. What do you think and what can I do? I' m shceduled for disharge 11/15.

Hi fzo,

Since the fee to amend the Bankruptcy petition is only $26, it does make sense to add this lender to the paperwork. It does sound like there is fraud involved, or possibly a mistake.

However, in the long run, it will probably cost less to deal with it now, by filing an amendment. This way you won't have to spend money in the future to prove you never owned the property.