Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

do i have to take credit counseling if im retired and on a

Customer Question

do i have to take credit counseling if i'm retired and on a fixed income? seven people in my department were redeployed recently. I was one, and was forced into retirement. I was able to settle with one of my creditors, but another of the higher balances will not. My only income is social security, which is $974 a month. Out of that I have supplement insurance which is $126 and $800 a month for my half of mortgage and utilities as joint tenant with my son-in-law. This doesn't leave me any money for food, which I buy myself. My debt is about $10,000. I just found out I have diabetes retinapathy, and could go blind. Bankruptcy is my only option at this point. I live in Virginia. Any advice would be welcomed.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Terry L. :

Hi and thank you for your question. In the future, you can request me to answer any further questions.

Terry L. :

If you are filing bankruptcy, credit counseling is a pre-filing requirement in almost all cases.

Terry L. :

It sounds like your household income would support you filing a chapter 7 to discharge these debts.

Terry L. :

These types of debts are dischargeable, and the process takes about 90 days once filed.

Terry L. :

The credit counseling can be done over the phone or online as well. It is really simple, and would only take a couple hours total.

Terry L. :

You should meet with a local attorney to review your case, confirm that your assets are protected.

Terry L. :

Most offer free consultations to review a case.

Terry L. :

I see you have entered chat, let me know if you have any other questions once you have read the response.

JACUSTOMER-5h1ttvhe- :

do i have to wait the 6 months of credit counseling. If I don't have money for food, I certainly don't have money for counseling. Counseling would not change my status. I don't have any money to manage.

Terry L. :

no

Terry L. :

The credit counseling must be completed any time in the 6months before filing.

Terry L. :

you can file the day after you get the certificate

Terry L. :

sometimes it is just jumping thru hoops with the management.

Terry L. :

Congress wanted to make sure people understand what they were getting into, and if they could do something to avoid it (ie manage money better) they want to be sure they knew about those options

Terry L. :

any further questions?

JACUSTOMER-5h1ttvhe- :

Thanks for your help. I will get with a lawyer here in Richmond as soon as I am up and moving around. I sprained my knee a few days ago.

JACUSTOMER-5h1ttvhe- :

I'll go ahead and accept the $38 charge for your services.

Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
thank you for your question, good luck to you.