Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

If my business has an outstanding accounts receivable with

If my business has an outstanding accounts receivable with a business that may file bankruptcy, do I stand a better chance or do I receive any higher priority in collecting this receivable if I pursue a judgment against this business before it files bankruptcy?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Terry L. :

Hi and thank you for your question. In the future, you can request me to answer any further questions.

Terry L. :

Hard to say. If the business has no assets or receivables and you obtain judgment, then it may still be hard to collect.

Terry L. :

The instant they file bankruptcy the debt will be discharged.

Terry L. :

Also, preferential payments that are made to you (even by judgment) could be brought back to the bankruptcy estate and distributed to all creditors.

Terry L. :

So it is hard to say if you would have a higher likelihood of gettting paid.

Terry L. :

if you have a lien on an asset (Secured debt) then that security interest would remain even if they file bankruptcy.

Terry L. :

If the company does not file though, then you would be more likely to be paid if you have a judgment and they have assets.

Terry L. :

Suit would cost money and there could be costs of collection as well to enforce the judgment.

Terry L. :

I would exhaust all other payment options first.

Terry L. :

I would also not spend those receivables should you get them, just in case there is any preference issue brought up by the bankruptcy filing.

Terry L. :

Do you have any questions?

Customer :

No other questions. Thank you. You have been very helpful.

Terry L. :

Great. if you do, feel free to request me. THanks.