cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy April of 2009. I had a student

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy April of 2009. I had a student loan I sign for my dughter as a co-signer, which the lawyer put it listed as unsecured debt. I was discharge in April 2010. After a month of discharge the student loan company started calling and sending me bills. They said cause my daughter was not paying then enough money on the loans, and that I had been discharge from bankruptcy and the co-signer I need to make payments. I called my lawyer and ask her about this, because during the bankruptcy processes she never told me nor the other attorneys, that I was assign to at different times in there office told me, that no student loans are excused. Now I had a rental house which burned up and I received money from the insurance co. The lawyer said they don't do rental property, but she took the money from it and gave it to the trustee. $5000 cash that I had on hand I had to give it over to them she said I could'nt have any money on hand, so I did in a personal check. The trustee also took a $27963.60 check which had my insurance adjester name on it and mine. When I told hem the trustee that the lawyer said that they don't do rental houses he said yes we do. Im confused! When I ask her about paying the student loan off with the $5000 cash they took, she say I'll get back with you and never do I have to call her. I make $287 a month payments beginning January 1, 2010 due the first of every month for one year, and a lump sum of $3399 by the January 1, 2011 total of $6843. The student co-sign loan balance is $4831.36. Now if I had know that this co-sign student loan had to still be paid regardless of me filing for chapter 7, I would have paid it with the $5000 cash on hand. I have put this bill in my bankruptcy and they know about it and at the same time the cash on hand, should'n they told me to pay it with that money or it was not excused for no bankruptcy? What are my rights as being mislead in a bankruptcy chp. 7 case? Also she tells me that some unsercured debts are payable in a bankruptcy chp. 7 since when? Now they tell me when they send out the letter for the credtor to submit payments the are asking to be paid, the co-sign student loan co. did'nt submit one. I ask do you send out submit papers for unsecured debt creditor. A long aaaaaaaaah I think we do. (WHAT) Im confused; On my discharge paper it read DEBTS THAT ARE NOT DISCHARED (d) debts for most student loans; cause of this statement Im thinking my co-sign student loan for my daughter was clear when I was discharged from Chp 7 bankruptcy, untill I started getting bills and calls for it a month after discharged. What can I do or what should be done about this? Do unsecured creditor ge letter send out for chp 7? what happen if a debt is listed under unsecured debt and should have been put under secured debt? If you was not told about a debt that was secured and did'nt find out about it untill you clear bankruptcy, and they took cash money from you which the debt could've been paid for what can you do about it? Is some unsecured debt still payable in chp 7? I know it is in chp 13.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 3 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

Student loans, even though they are unsecured debts, are not dischargeable in a Bankruptcy. If you had paid the $5,000 to the student loan lender, the Bankruptcy trustee could have taken that money back to evenly distribute to the other creditors.

Please let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thats find but if they are putting the money in there pockets and not all of it going to my credtors then what? I already paid then there fees, plus Im making payments which is suppose to be the amount I own for overage for of my assets. The check from the rental house, was reissue for $27,963.60 still in my name and ajested and now a third party. After my finial payment is made and all disbursements is made, should I be given account of all money taken? If any is left over do trustee get to keep it?

The Bankruptcy trustee gets 10% of the assets or money he takes. The rest is paid to the creditors in proportion to the size of each debt. You are supposed to receive anything that is left over - if anything is left over.

You are supposed to receive an accounting. If you do not, you can ask your attorney to contact the trustee's office to get one.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What should be done when you are not told, about a debt that was put in bankruptcy at time of filing which should be paid out of bankruptcy?
What did you mean by "a debt that was put in bankruptcy...which should be paid out of bankruptcy"?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I put the co-sign student loan in bankruptcy as one of my debts. Being I was not told it was to be paid regardless of me filing for chapter 7 bankruptcy. I would like to know what should be done? How should I be protected by not knowing ahead or at the beginning of bankruptcy filing? My daughter is making payments on this loan and they say because she not paying enought on them I need to make payment. Can they garnished me as a co-signer while she making payments? Also being I put it in bankruptcy as one of my debts, can they garnished me? Please answer all my question you have been a great help to me. Just need to be put at peace with this case. Thanks

Please don't forget to hit the "ACCEPT" button, and then we can continue.

Edited by cfortunato on 10/9/2010 at 6:50 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The student loan I co-sign for that debt was put in bankruptcy the one I been talking about.. I want information on my questions to my satisfaction. You are suppose to be experts and agreed or said no pay until I satisfied right or wrong. Say what you mean and do what you say.
I am not sure why you thought the student loan was going to be discharged. However, since it was not, the lender can garnish your wages if it is not being completely paid.

Edited by cfortunato on 10/10/2010 at 2:02 AM EST

Edited by cfortunato on 10/10/2010 at 2:04 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Because I was not told I had to pay it until after the discharge. Should some of it be paid out of the money taking from me being I place it in bankruptcy? After all it was the experts fault I was mislead.

The Bankruptcy court does not care that you were misled. They will say your attorney should have explained the loan was not dischargeable. The money that you had to pay to the court was distributed to all the creditors - including the student loan company. That is how the court does it. It doesn't matter that you thought the student loan was dischargeable.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Last question what happen if a credtor do not submit his paper for request of payment?
If a creditor does not submit a "Proof of Claim" to the Bankruptcy court, that creditor does not get any money from the court.
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy professor.